Sunday, April 25, 2010

Speaking at Northland Baptist Bible College

It was my great privilege to speak recently three times at Northland Baptist Bible College's Missions Conference. Two were workshops to students and one was a general session with the students, other missionaries, and mission board representatives in attendance.

Although my public speaking probably went well, I consistently finished ten minutes early. I would be told that I needed to be done at 10:25 because the next session was scheduled to start at 10:35. I would then file away in my mind, "Must be finished ten minutes before 10:25." I would dismiss promptly at 10:15 only to realize within minutes of dismissing that I could have taken another ten minutes.

I did that in my first workshop. I looked at my watch, thought my time was winding down, took a few questions, and finished my workshop having only presented about half of my material. I packed up my items, turned in my microphone, and walked across campus to the gymnasium was the general session was scheduled next. Very few people were around; I checked my watch and then my conference handbook and realized that I had dismissed ten minutes early.

The next day I was given the privilege of speaking in the general session. Here was my chance to speak to nearly all the students at once. Again, I was asked to conclude my message by 10:20. "No problem," I thought, "I'll be sure to start my last point ten minutes before I must be done. Then I will be certain to be done on time." Again, my mind was working too hard. Rather than beginning my last point at 10:10, I looked at my watch, saw 10:00, and decided I needed to move to my last point. I guess that shows that I am human.

The result is that I gained a reputation for being a short speaker. I'm not sure that is all bad. After all, one famous orator said, "If you haven't struck oil after five minutes, stop boring."

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.