Tuesday, June 10, 2008

You want to speak about Jesus Christ? ... oops, I'm busy

I have discovered that there are some folks in Mongolia who see me as an English translator who is available to help them whenever they need some help. They only come over when they need something translated and never want to talk about the Bible, sin, or our Savior.

Here's a transcript of the SMS messages (without editing) that I recently exchanged with one of these folks.

Mongolian: "Can I visit to house today around 7:00 pm. I have a special quest for you."

Me: "Yep, please come. We'll talk about Jesus. Will you come?"

Mongolian: "I am so sorry! May be I can't talk with you about Jesus. I have another job that must be solved immediately. Are you sure?"

Me: "I must talk about Jesus tonight. Will you come?"

The Mongolian then called me to talk in Mongolian. "Why do you have to talk about Jesus?" he asked.

I explained to him that my desire is to talk about Jesus and that I am very busy. If he just wants help with translation then I am too busy for that. If he wants to talk about Jesus, I will make time to meet him.

In the end, he declined to come.

It is a reminder that we all have priorities. For some, maybe a job or some English translation or a friend is the most important thing. For me, meeting spiritual needs is most important. I really must work to be certain that I do not make other people's priorities my priorities. Instead I must stay focused on what is eternally important. It is always a struggle as a missionary. We need your prayers as we prioritize our time and choose the best things over the good things.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.