Thursday, June 05, 2008

some updates

Ganpurev arrived safely which is no little feat considering that he disembarked from the bus he was riding along an empty stretch of road and was picked up from that same lonely stretch of road by a brother who has no phone and lives in an area with no cell phone service. (That seems well-nigh amazing to those of us who grew up with scheduled stops and cell phones. It probably seems commonplace to those of my grandparents' generation.) He will be in with his family for about ten days. In the countryside especially everything about a funeral is determined by the Buddhist lama: where the body will be buried, which direction the body will face, which rituals need to be performed, etc. Please pray that Ganpurev will have the fortitude and wisdom to not participate in the Buddhist rituals while still showing the appropriate respect to a family matriarch. It can be a difficult thing.

Gustavo, the Cuban man, called me today to tell me that his wife may be having her baby soon. Bayarmaa is due in a week or two; but, you know, one can rarely plan these things.

I saw Bob on Sunday at a family gathering (Bilgee & Ganaa's family's gathering; I guess I am part of the clan). He was friendly enough, but we did not discuss anything "religious." I told him that I would try to visit this week. However, on Monday night Batzorig came over with Bilgee; and I was able to witness to him. Tuesday night, a recent attender of our church's services Narantuya came over for dinner. After dinner we had a good conversation. Wednesday night after a time of prayer, Bilgee and Jagaa and I studied the Bible together. So I have not yet had a free night to visit Bob. I plan to call tonight and see if he is available.

Someone predicted that there will be an earthquake in Mongolia this month that rivals the earthquake that shattered Chinese cities last month. Some said that the earthquake was going to occur last night (Wednesday night). I even had an acquaintance send me an SMS saying to be careful because there might be an earthquake. Mongolians seem to be taking this rather seriously. There is a genuine spirit of fear and superstition here that motivates people's actions.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.