During May we scheduled several days of special meetings. It was the first time for our fledgling group to hold anything like that. On Monday and Tuesday we heard special speakers. Then on Wednesday I shared my vision for this church.
One of my major concerns with such meetings during the week was whether anyone would attend or not. Some Mongolians work seven days a week, and all of our members work regularly. I wondered if they would let their jobs keep them from coming. I should not have wondered. Twenty-five people came out the first night and almost as many the other nights. With attendance on Sunday running about that many, I was glad to see people make it a priority in their busy schedules.
Many good things came out of these meetings. First, the people enjoyed the extra preaching and fellowship. I am certain that they are looking forward to doing it again. Also, it was a blessing to hear from several of our men who gave their testimonies during the meetings. Several unsaved Mongolians were there and heard how God drew these Mongolian men to Himself.
I gave the Mongolians my vision for our church on Wednesday night. In short, I reminded them that they are the church, and ultimately it will be completely Mongolian without any foreign help. Of course, I do not know when that will be … but it will happen. I reminded them of their opportunities to serve within the church that we have. It was encouraging that the following Sunday, Ganpurev preached in my place. When we talked about it, I told him that I did not want him to take this preaching responsibility as from me. Instead, I wanted him to preach to us because he knew that it was his responsibility from God or not to do it at all. Not by coincidence, his boss asked him to work that Sunday. He made the choice to be in church and fulfill his responsibility to preach.
For me, the short fellowship that we held on Wednesday night was the best part of the meetings. Usually, I feel as if fellowships revolve around my family. Everyone who comes knows us and the conversation seems to center on us. This last fellowship was different. Everyone worked to bring food. They all chatted among themselves and seemed less like a group of people who know the Deans and more like a church and fellowship of believers.
It is steps like these that move a group from a small gathering to a church. I praise the Lord for His presence and help during the month of May. Do not forget that your prayers are an important part of our ministry.


No comments:
Post a Comment