"It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart." Solomon's warning is one that most Americans ignore today. We would much rather go to a fellowship with good food, wholesome singing, and happy talk than to go to a funeral. But life continues to remind us that death is never far away.
My American partner in this work, Roland Gay, just two weeks ago stopped at a wreck minutes after it happened. Several Mongolians were severely injured and several dead were still in the vehicle when he arrived. I am certain when they left that morning that did not expect to be in an accident, but death comes unexpectedly.
In June a unusually dry spring resulted in many wildfires. Mongolia has a corps of firefighters that do an admirable job of fighting these types of fires. Recently while some firefighters were traveling from one fire to another, the helicopter that was transporting them crashed. Although the government knew immediately that the helicopter had crashed it took three days to find the crash site. By then 14 of the firefighters had died. Later the pilot, a nationally recognized helicopter pilot, also died. Only a few men survived.
Then two days ago, I met my neighbor waiting for the elevator to take us to the ground floor. After the customary greetings, I asked him where he was going. A friend had died he told me, and he was going to help - another death, another reminder of its inevitability.
Yesterday, I met with my language helper. He told me of a Norwegian student that he had. I must have met her during my studies at language school. She was a 36 year old, single doctor who loved Mongolia and talked of becoming a citizen. Sunday night she had sent a meesage to my language helper saying that it had been a long time since they had been together. Wednesday morning she did not wake up - another death, another reminder of death's unexpected visits.
I plan to preach this Sunday from the passage that I mentioned. I anticipate having several unsaved Mongolians in attendance. Please pray for the salvation of Bob and Buren and other unsaved Mongolians who will come. They think that they have lots of time, that death is far away. Who knows? Only our God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Praise the Lord for our salvation from sin's penalty!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment