It took us a long time to see her baptized. We certainly encouraged her to be baptized; however, she usually had some excuse. We fully expected her to come to our previous baptismal service and be baptized and were disappointed when she missed.
I have also witnessed to her husband Bob many times. As a matter of fact, Bob was the first person to whom I witnessed in Mongolian. In 2005-2006 when we were on furlough, we asked our supporters to pray for his salvation.
It seemed to us that immediately after her baptism her problems increased. I was sure glad I did not promise my listeners that if they were baptized all their problems would go away. On the advice of his drinking buddies her husband told her the next day that she would have to choose between Jesus and him. Then he called me and asked my family to stop having Ganaa teach our children Mongolian.
The day after that, Ganaa, Kristie, and I met. It was amazing to see the peace that Ganaa had as she told us that Bob told her that if she followed Christ she would need to leave the house. She told us plainly, "I will follow Jesus even if I have to move out." She was seeking advice on what she ought to do. We began to pray with her that God would soften Bob's heart.
On the Saturday following I was going out to visit people. I was not sure if I should visit Bob's house or not and finally decided against it because I was concerned that a visit might make the situation worse for Ganaa. After all, he had not yet insisted that Ganaa leave. Instead I was led to pray that God would give me an opportunity to run into Bob. Strangely enough, I had completed all my visits and was returning home when I stopped at a local grocery store to buy some cheese. Who should be there but Bob! Providentially, God brought us together. I determined that I would show him that I loved him. My father-in-law (who is also my pastor) had offered to bring something with him to give to Bob as a goodwill gift. So I asked Bob if there was anything from the States that he wanted. He asked for two pair of jeans.
My parents-in-law visit was the perfect opportunity to have Bob over to our house. We held an open house for our friends to meet our parents and invited Bob and his family to come. Kristie's parents had brought with them the pairs of jeans that Bob had requested. Bob came with his family and seemed to enjoy his time with my pastor.
My pastor who was preparing to speak on Sunday told him that he could pick up his jeans at the church service. So Bob came again on Sunday. My pastor spoke and then Ganpurev preached an evangelistic message. Bob picked up his jeans, asked if he could meet with me and my pastor, and said that he would be back the next week.
A few days later Bob invited our family to come over for a meal. On Saturday, we went to Bob's house where he gave us plenty of good food to eat. Afterwards, my pastor and I took the opportunity to witness to Bob. It was not that Bob was unaware of the claims of Christ or needed to know the way of salvation. I had, in fact, been witnessing to him several weeks before his wife's baptism when he cut me off and said, "I know all that." His problem was that he did not want to place his trust in Jesus Christ as his Savior from sin. It was a classic situation where a person knows that Jesus claims to be the way, the truth, and the life but does not want to believe it.
Bob shared with us that Saturday that he was afraid that if he became a Christian he would be a hypocrite. He said he knew many men who said that they were Christians but continued to drink, lie, and deal dishonestly. It was apparent that Bob understood the basic concept of repentance; that is, if he were to become a Christian God would want to change his sinful life. A Christian's life should stand in stark contrast to the world.
My father-in-law wisely reminded Bob that we cannot be worried about God's responsibility but must accept our responsibility. Our responsibility is to respond to God with faith; it is God's responsibility to save and sanctify us. Bob said that he would think about it. I pressed him to give us an answer, and my pastor reminded him that no answer was to continue to resist the Holy Spirit. I asked if he would give us an answer the next day; he said that he would think about that too.
The next day, a Sunday, Bob again came to church. When we sang "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus" to close our service, I noticed that Bob was singing the song, something that he has never done before because he believes as I do that it would be hypocritical for him to sing any song if he does not agree with the words. I noted this change of character in him and wondered what it might mean.
After the service, I asked Bob if he was ready to put his trust in Jesus. He said, "Let's talk, the three of us" referring to my pastor and me and him. So we found some privacy in a little storage room and talked. The conversation probably lasted an hour. Bob continued to express a fear that he could not live the Christian life. We agreed with him that he could not live the Christian life,
Finally, after about an hour Bob said, "Okay, I'm ready to do that." So I suggested that he should pray and tell God what he had just told me. Bob bowed his head and without any prompting told God that he was a sinner, asked God for forgiveness through Jesus, and asked God to begin to change him. It was very moving for those of us who know how proud Bob was to see him humble himself before a holy God and admit his sinfulness.
For many years, I have witnessed to Bob, sometimes even angering him with my boldness. Now the Holy Spirit has transformed him, and it is exciting to see God at work.
(Bob's family is in the picture to the right)


No comments:
Post a Comment