Thursday, January 10, 2008

Weather update

It has turned cold here in Mongolia. We were spoiled last year because it never really became cold like it usually does. The weather stayed pleasant through October. In November, I mentioned to one lady that perhaps we would have another mild winter. She became very animated and complained that mild winters meant dry summers. Last summer was quite dry. So I think that Mongolians are glad for the cold because they think that it means the weather will be normal.

How cold is it? -33° F at night warming all the way up to zero during the day. In the next few days weather forecasters are predicting a cold front from Siberia that will take night time temperatures all the way down to -40° F. The all-time low is -56° F I understand so we still have a ways to go to break the record.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.