Our first visit on the second day of the Lunar New Year was to Bilgee’s family. Even though we did not arrive until 11:20, we were still the first ones there. Most visits during the Lunar New Year are composed of talking. So we talked with Bilgee and his mother for some time. After we had been there about an hour more family members arrived. We also talked with them; some of them are Catholic. After about two hours at that place we excused ourselves to make another visit.
During the Lunar New Year, families buy many different gifts. Instead of the visitors giving gifts to the host, the host gives gifts to the visitors. There actually is a polite question that asks, “Have you received many gifts?” As far as I can understand, the question really is intended to ask if one has visited many homes or not. One consequence is that during this celebration our children receive much candy and sweets, and Kristie and I receive soap, ties, belts, and other things.
Our second visit was to Tovshin’s house. Tovshin is actually much closer to our American friends, but he is kind enough to invite us over every Lunar New Year celebration. We went with another American family. The unusual part of our visit to Tovshin’s was that he spoke English to us despite the fact that one of his Mongolian friends was visiting who spoke little English (I asked.) Whenever we would make a statement or ask Tovshin a question in Mongolian, he would respond in English. We spent nearly two hours there.
We then went home and had a relaxing afternoon. After several hours, I left to make a final visit for the day. I was going to visit Ganbold’s home. You might remember Ganbold from previous blog entries (first here then here and here). He is interested in studying the Bible, but because of his work schedule, we have been unable to establish a time to meet. I understood from other family members that he must return to work on Tuesday, and that if I was to visit him, I should do it on Monday. Now Ganbold had not invited me to his house; however, the nice thing about the Lunar New Year is that you can visit just about anyone you know without causing offense.
My visit to Ganbold’s was very pleasant. He seemed glad to see me. When I arrived there were about a dozen other family members that were getting ready to leave. After they left, Ganbold and I were by ourselves. Though Ganbold knows that I do not drink, he offered me some wine. In
He told me that he has been reading the Bible that I gave him starting in Genesis. He repeated that he would like to study the Bible. When I asked him when he would like to study the Bible, he said that he would call me when he had free time. That was the same response he had given me on my previous visit. The only trouble was that he never called. So this time, I told him that I would call him on Friday so that he could tell me whether Saturday or Sunday was the better day to visit.
Ganbold and I then went to a adjacent ger where his son lives. His son’s in-laws were visiting and were very drunk. They offered me vodka and insisted that I drink some; I refused as politely as I could. They insisted that I at least taste it. I explained that I did not drink any intoxicating liquor. Later, they decided to do a very common Mongolian practice: everyone would drink a shot of vodka and then sing a solo. Well, I explained that I did not drink and did not know any Mongolian songs. They said that I could skip the drink and just sing a song in English; then they just stared at me waiting for me to sing. So I sang “How Great Thou Art.” They said that they liked it. I must learn a Mongolian hymn by heart so that I can be prepared for the next time. Between the talking and songs I spent more than three hours at Ganbold’s place.
Please pray that Ganbold would make time to study the Bible with me and that I would have wisdom as I teach. As always, I am well aware that your prayers enable our ministry.


No comments:
Post a Comment