Sunday, February 18, 2007

Lunar New Year - Day One

For the rest of this week, my posts will focus on the celebration by Mongolians of the Lunar New Year or "White Month" as a strict translation would have it. In the countryside, the Lunar New Year is celebrated for more than a week. Here in the city the celebration lasts most of three days but people will continue to visit for the rest of the week.

Usually, Mongolians refer to the days of the week as "First Day," then "Second Day," etc. Saturday is "Half Good Day," and Sunday is "Whole Good Day." But starting with the first day of the Lunar New Year, they refer to the days as First New Day, Second New Day, Third New Day, etc. So the invitations will not be "Can you come to my house on Tuesday?" but rather "Can you come to my house on Second New Day?" Since the Lunar New Year starts on a Sunday this year, Second New Day is First Day; this has already caused some confusion among folks that I know.

Today is Sunday - First New Day. We had a special early service. The Mongolians thought it would be a good way to start the new year. Then I went to visit Enkhee and his family. I was the first one to their house, and they said that they were honored that I was the first one to greet them in the new year. I stayed for several hours. We have several more visits tomorrow and then several more on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.