I have considered the purpose of writing on this topic in today's update. I try to avoid negativity about life in Mongolia as much as possible because I do not believe them to be constructive to your prayers. Nor do I believe it to be emotionally or spiritually healthy to write consistently pessimistic updates. But Mongolians face much opposition to evaluating one's life based upon truth and conforming to reality. It is more than just in spiritual matters as I will illustrate in a moment. But that natural opposition to truth hinders people from obeying Biblical commands when they conflict with long-held beliefs. Such refusal to deal with truth as reality leads to destructive behavior. As Proverbs says, "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."
Here are a few examples of denying reality that I have heard today from three different people. A doctor recently told Ulzee not to give her elderly mother vitamins because the vitamins might cause a recurrence of her cancer. Another example: some Mongolians refuse to wash their dishes with dish soap because they believe that washing one's dishes with dish soap causes cancer.
In another case, a man kicked his wife and children out of his ger and sold it—the only possession that he had—to buy liquor so that he could indulge his drinking habit. The Mongolian relating this story to me said that Mongolians now say that there is an alcohol addict in every family. Such a statement is an exaggeration, of course, but illustrates the ubiquity of alcohol addiction in Mongolia.
All of these examples I heard in one day from three different people in different conversations. Is it possible for these people to change? Not without God's help. It was impossible for me to deal with sin in my life before Jesus came and brought forgiveness and victory. And that is why we are here: to introduce people to a Savior who brings forgiveness, victory over sin, and hope! Please pray for us not to become cynical, not to allow frustration to rule, not to be impatient in well-doing. But pray that God in His time and His grace will honor His Son by sending His Holy Spirit to change minds, hearts, and destinies!
Next week, God willing, I will write to you about some of the victories.


1 comment:
Thank you for your frankness. "People" can be so discouraging! Thank God for His grace.
Carrie from HABC in Fairbanks
Post a Comment