Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Buren is in the hospital

On Sunday, Chimgee, Buren’s daughter, came to the Sunday morning church service by herself. When I asked her if her father was coming, she said, “No, he’s in the hospital.”

Of course, I was shocked, I didn’t even know that he was sick. “When did he go to the hospital?” I asked concerned.

“Friday,” she replied.

“What happened,” I inquired next.

Her response was somewhat interesting to me as an American. She responded, “He had a nose bleed on Thursday night and couldn’t get it to stop. So Friday he went to the doctor and the doctor checked him into the hospital.”

“Will he be there ten days?” I asked, referring to the standard length of time that Mongolians are in the hospital once they are admitted.

“Yes”

“Why didn’t you tell me Friday that you’re dad was in the hospital?”

“I planned to tell you today,” she replied cryptically.

Monday I planned to visit Buren but an American friend of mine had an accident that he needed help with to resolve the legal implications. So I spent most of Monday helping him and was not completely finished until about ten o’clock.

So Tuesday I went to see him in the hospital. He walked right out to see us and then I followed him back into his room. Things were pretty quiet. A small group of men, the worst of whom seemed to be suffering from obesity, were sharing the room in which Buren was staying. Outwardly, I could see no signs of sickness. When I asked Buren about his course of treatment, he said that he was receiving regular injections. I was grateful that the hospital was spotlessly clean.

Some of you may know that I call Buren "my Mongolian father." Still, I was surprised when I entered the room on Tuesday, and Buren referred to me as his son. Of course, the Mongolians knew something was up since Buren and I do not look anything alike. I do not mean any disrespect to my father when I call Buren my Mongolian father. It is just that he acts sometimes as if he is my father. He gives advice and checks on me frequently. He asks me about future plans and offers to help. That is why I tell people that he is like my Mongolian father. Check out Matthew 19:29 sometime. I may not be geographically or culturally close to my American father so God provided for me a "Mongolian father" to help me.

To continue on with my story, as best as I can tell, Buren is recovering nicely. He will be in the hospital until Sunday. I am praying that his time in the hospital will lead him to Jesus Christ. Thank you for your prayers for Buren.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.