What a couple of months it has been. Kristie and I both expected that we would come back and slip back into the flow of things and all would be well. It certainly hasn’t turned out that way. The turn signals were stolen off my car, Kristie was sick for over a week and still doesn’t feel entirely well, Charissa contracted pink eye, and this last Sunday only three Mongolians adults came. Despite the fact that several of you faithfully reminded me to rejoice in infirmities, I clung to my disappointment that circumstances were not better. Still, I cried out to God for help to deal with my disappointments and discouragement.
God recently answered my prayers in something I read. I reproduce it here for your edification.
Dr. G. Campbell Morgan and his wife went to hear a young preacher in whom they were particularly interested. He was eloquent, fine-looking, and he delivered a great sermon. Afterward, on the way home, Mrs. Morgan was profuse in her praise and was surprised that Dr. Morgan made no response. Finally, she asked, “Don’t you think he is a great preacher?” He answered, “He will be after he suffers.” Time went by, and this young preacher found out by experience what it cost to stand for Christ. He went through problems at his church. Then one day he stood by an open grave as he buried one of his beloved children. Dr. Morgan and his wife loved the young man and went to hear him speak after this. After the service, Mrs. Morgan asked again, “What do you think of him now?” Dr. Morgan answered, “He is a great preacher.”
It reminds me of two quotes that I collected somewhere. Helen Keller said, “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” A. W. Tozer once commented, “Seldom does God use a person greatly who has not been hurt deeply.” These stories and quotes reminded me again that God prepares me by passing me through the fire so that I can do greater things for him later.
So I am rejoicing in my infirmities and claiming for my life the truth of I Peter 1:6-7. Please praise the Lord with me that even when I am faithless, He is faithful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment