Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Deans' weekly update

Did you read the news this weekend? Seven billion people—the United Nations declared Monday to be the day that the world's population passes seven billion. It was only a decade ago that the world's population passed six billion. When I was born there were about four billion people alive on the planet. It appears that in my lifetime alone the population of the planet will more than double. Are there twice as many missionaries today as there were when I was a boy?

A godly Christian pastor once said to a group of which I was a part that he was praying for the Lord to return quickly. He explained that the world's population was growing far more quickly than the number of missionaries. Therefore, people in the next generation were actually less likely to hear the message of the Gospel than the people of this generation.

I do not share his pessimism. I have seen God at work in many unexpected ways during my time in Mongolia. But I will say that we will not reach the world if we primarily rely on missionaries to preach the Gospel. All of us have a crucial part in spreading the Gospel to our families, our co-workers, our neighbors. What have you done this week to get out the Good News?

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.