“The
LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel;
The God of the whole earth shall he be called” (Isaiah 54:5). We
serve the God of the whole earth. It is easy for Christians who have
grown up in America to think that we are the only ones, that we are
the ones who must go to the ends of the earth to bring the Gospel to
those who do not know. If we Americans do not go, who will?
The
reality is that God is working through many people in many countries.
I have to tell you this story because it reveals one amazing thread
among the millions who make up God’s tapestry.
One of
my friends in Mongolia is Bolderdene. I have known him ever since
language school. For the entire time that I have known him, I have
been aware that he was a Christian. For some years, he tutored me in
my language studies and helped me translate various Bible study tools
and other items into Mongolian. Along with Ganpurev, he has been my
cultural advisor, particularly on topics relating to biblical
application to Mongolian society.
Bolderdene
was saved by Jesus Christ. The man who baptized him and mentored him
is Jurgen Kuhlman. I met his wife, Rita, on several occasions. She is
the famous linguist who wrote the grammar book on the Mongolian
language. I think I remember meeting Jurgen on one occasion. I have
heard Bolderdene talk about Jurgen many times, especially about
Jurgen’s role in discipling him and teaching him the Bible.
While
at Baptist World Mission’s Annual Meeting, I met Russ Fredrick. He
was a missionary in Germany for 41 years. Now retired, he was back
for the annual meeting. He told me that he had baptized and discipled
a German fellow, who later went to Outer Mongolia as a missionary. He
told me the man’s name was Jurgen.
I had
heard so much about Jurgen from Bolderdene that I had to ask, “You
mean Jurgen Kuhlman?”
“Yes,”
he replied, and asked if I knew him. I responded that I met him only
once, but knew much about him from my friend Bolderdene.
So the
Word of God goes out from the United States to Germany. God moves in
the German’s heart to go to Mongolia, where he plants a church and
disciples believers. One of those believers is Bolderdene, who has
been a help to me over the years. The thread of Russ’s ministry is
woven over the string of Jurgen’s ministry. The line of his
ministry is running past the thread of Bolderdene’s life. After
being impacted by Bolderdene’s friendship, I trace the line all the
way back to Russ, revealing just a small measure of God’s wisdom
and sovereignty in His work around the world.


No comments:
Post a Comment