Friday, April 15, 2011

Quotes of the week

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked; there is no reason not to follow your heart." — Steve Jobs 2005 commencement at Stanford

"Take death for example. A great deal of our effort goes into avoiding it. We make extraordinary efforts to delay it, and often consider its intrusion a tragic event. Yet we'd find it hard to live without it. Death gives meaning to our lives. It gives importance and value to time. Time would become meaningless if there were too much of it." — by Ray Kurzweil

"The average man, who does not know what to do with his life, wants another one which will last forever." – Anatole France

"Millions of people long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." – Susan Ertz

I'm not saying that I agree with these quotes. Rather, I found them thought-provoking. We all face the reality of our own death. Are we using that to motivate us to live for Christ today? Or do we allow entertainment and distractions to keep us from the important work.

Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit wrote, "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences."

What on earth are you doing for heaven's sake?

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.