Bob came to church this last Sunday. He also came to church the previous Sunday. This is the first time that he has come to church two Sundays in a row since I returned to Mongolia.
I had heard that he was having some trouble with nose bleeds. Many people in Mongolia have trouble with that. Some people say it’s the altitude. Some people say it’s the dry air. Because there are many reasons for such trouble, I did not think much about it.
Bob had made it clear to me some time ago that he was not interested in following Jesus Christ. Although he has made a profession of faith in Christ, there has not been any fruit of repentance that I have seen.
That is not to say that God is not at work in Bob’s life. Many times when God is at work in another person’s life, we cannot see it, especially if they choose to hide from us. That is the way that Bob has been. I see him very rarely and when I do he does not seem eager to talk.
I was grateful to see him at meetings the past two Sundays. He was making jokes to his wife during one song service; at least, he was learning over to whisper in her ear while we were singing. She responded with a giggle.
Later however he was wearing a more serious expression as he softly joined us in singing another song. I was surprised by that because I don’t remember him singing at all for many years now.
After one service he told me that God was telling him to quit drinking. It was the first time that unsolicited he mentioned God’s work in his life.
A week ago Monday, he was a tremendous help to Ganpurev and Ulzee as they sought a diagnosis for Ulzee’s mother Aya. These are some interesting actions for Bob. I do not know what they mean. However, I will continue to pray for God’s hand to be upon him. If he needs repentance and salvation, God can bring him to that place. If he is a wayward son experiencing God’s discipline, then my prayer is that Bob will respond to God’s loving rebukes and be serious about following Jesus.


No comments:
Post a Comment