Saturday, November 20, 2010

On the passing of a loved one

“Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.”

My father's mother passed away long before I was born. And my mother's mother passed on before I become a teenager. And so it was not unexpected that my brothers and I “adopted” my mother's dear friend who was about the appropriate age as a new "Grandma." We called her Grandma Powell for as long as I remember knowing her. We met her at church the same way that we met so many significant people in our lives. But she was the only one we called "Grandma." To those who have grown up all their lives with grandparents it may seem odd to pretend that someone unrelated by blood is a grandparent. But for those of us with a grandparent one appreciates the wisdom of age and the stability of experience. As Proverbs says, “The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

Besides, every family needs a grandparent to be present at weddings. I needed someone to dispense wise advice. It feels right to attend church and keep one eye out for “Grandma,” and if she is missing to inquire as to her health. It is fun to celebrate octogenarian birthdays with one whose life radiates peace and righteousness. And there is certainly no need to insist that only a “blood” relative can do those things. Grandma Powell fulfilled those responsibilities well.

But there was something else that she did that my other grandparents never did for me as earnestly: she prayed ... fervently. Never underestimate the heart devotion of a praying grandparent! It is not the God is more likely to give in to a grandparent more than a young person. No, God is perfect in all His ways, no one can stay His hand, nor can any change His mind. But a grandparent who prays earnestly is a constant reminder to the grandchild of godliness. Those prayers offered so constantly are a regular source of encouragement. And let’s be honest, grandparents often have more time to pray than many of us. Grandma Powell would spend hours in prayer each day for me, for my family, for the Mongolians to whom I ministered and for so many others.

Grandma Powell showed to me the meaning of the verse, “Now she that is a widow indeed, ... trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.” In fact, one of her frustrations the past few months was that she was unable to always stay awake while she prayed.

My family was blessed to have spend some time with her while in the United States recently. It will seem odd to return to Westgate Baptist Church and not see Virginia Powell in attendance and know that she is not sick, will never be sick again.

My wife has godly grandparents who still pray for us, and I am truly grateful for them. But I feel desolate and alone in an unexplainable way. It is not that God has changed for He is immutable. Rather, I sense that an important piece of my life has been taken away from me for the moment.

Some day, I hope to be the inspiration and prayer partner for another that Grandma Powell was for me. Only now in glory does she realize how much so meant to be and by extension the work that was accomplished in Mongolia by the power of God through the prayers of a godly woman.

So let me conclude by saying don’t take the prayers of those who love you for granted and don’t avoid God’s call to pray thinking that it does not matter.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.