Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Deans' weekly update

It is -24 F outside as I write this update.

Last week I asked you to pray for the dinner that we were scheduled to have with friends. They had to cancel their plans for dinner on Thursday night and re-scheduled for Friday night.

We had a good dinner. I had taken a Gospel aid with me to introduce them to our Savior. The aid is a chart that starts with creation, discussing sin, spirits, Jesus as the Son of God, His crucifixion, His resurrection, and our response to truth. At one point I discussed the Ten Commandments to illustrate that all of us are sinners and have broken God's law. You all know the commandments; my host named Temulen didn't seem too surprised by any of them until I reached the seventh commandment at which point he looked at me and said, "Really." Even Kristie noted his surprise at that commandment. About that time we were interrupted by their neighbor coming to visit.

Soon after that the issue of whether I drink vodka or not came up. (It comes up more often than you might expect in Mongolia.) Temulen said that he didn't think I was allowed to drink vodka. I told him that I didn't want to drink vodka and pointed out that there are two reasons that people drink alcohol: to forget their sorrows and to find joy. I then read to them Ph. 4:6-7 where it says that if we give our requests to God He will give us the peace that passes all understanding. I told them I don't need to drink liquor to find joy or forget my troubles because Jesus gives me peace & joy. It was incredible how quickly the conversation switched to other topics after that.

While our conversation didn't turn out the way that I wanted it to turn out, I felt confident that God will take what was said and use it. So I will probably follow up soon. Just drop in and ask Temulen if he's been thinking about what I said.

Please continue to pray for the salvation of Mongolians!

3 comments:

Darin said...

I'm curious about what you mean when you say that there are only two reasons why people drink, to forget their sorrows or to find joy. Is this your observation in the Mongolian culture or are you saying this as a universal statement?

Darin

Scott Dean said...

I was stating an observation about people that I have made over the years. I wouldn't call it a universal statement because I don't claim to have perfect knowledge or even to have done exhaustive research.

I have made this statement to Mongolians on multiple occasions, and so far no Mongolian has suggested another reason for Mongolians to drink.

Darin said...

That's truly heartbreaking to hear that. I'm thankful that you and others are being used in Mongolia to advance His Kingdom!

Personally, I don't touch alcohol But, that's only because I used to drink for the reasons you mention. I have observed however, many dedicated Christ followers who enjoy a good beer or glass of wine in the same way they might enjoy a good cup of coffee or fine cigar, Not in anyway trying to forget pain or find joy...they've already been healed by God and found true joy in Christ.
I wish Mongolia wasn't such a great distance from here, I'd love to come and have a cup of coffee with you and meet some of the people you mention on this blog.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.