Sunday, April 19, 2009

Uganaa's salvation testimony

It is always exciting to shift someone’s name from the “praying for their salvation” side of one’s prayer list to the “praying for their growth in grace” side. This recently happened to me.

I wish I could tell all that I know about the situation and perhaps some day I will be able to. At the present time, certain agreements that exist between Kristie and Uganaa and me that prohibit me from giving some of the details that would bring glory to God. What follows is the part of the story I can tell.

Months ago, Trina Cofer in Hatgal had the opportunity to meet a tour guide, a young Mongolian lady who had come to Hatgal with some tourists on a trip. This young lady noticed the way that Trina was dressed and came to her to ask if she was a Christian. When Trina told her that she was a Christian, the young lady whose name is Uganaa told her that she was interested in Jesus Christ.

However, Uganaa’s tourist work was soon taking her away from Trina. So Trina suggested that when she returned to the city, she should call me and attend the church where I am serving.

Then Trina called me to explain Uganaa’s situation and to ask me to contact her should she not contact me. However, I was surprised that almost as soon as Uganaa returned to town in late summer she contacted me. We met a few times to talk about Jesus Christ and the Bible.

We had only met together twice when I was suddenly taken very ill. Uganaa was scheduled to come over for another Bible study with Kristie and me; however because I was so ill, I called her and canceled. The next day or possibly the day after Uganaa called me to tell me that she was on her way to Hatgal to spend some months living with Mickey and Trina.

After she returned from Hatgal we had several more meetings to study the Bible. She also had learned many things from Mickey, Trina, and some of their Mongolian friends while in Hatgal. She kept insisting that she could not believe that Jesus was God. Although I showed her many Scriptures she clung to her belief that Jesus could not have been God. She also said that we must suffer for our own sins.

I began to discern that they must be some other barrier to belief besides a lack of Biblical understanding. When I pointed this out she seemed conflicted but did not tell me what the obstacle was. Although she quit attending church only a few weeks after her second return to the city, I continued to pray for her salvation.

Several weeks ago while walking home from church, I heard someone behind me saying, “Jeff, Jeff.” I ignored it thinking that perhaps I was mishearing someone because most Mongolians cannot pronounce the letter ‘f.’ Thinking that I must be hearing something other than my name, I just kept walking. However, I heard it again more clearly this time, “Jeff, Jeff.” Looking around me, I say that Uganaa was walking behind me by about 30 feet or so. She had been calling me.

I waited for her to catch up with me, greeted her warmly, and asked her where she had been. She said that she had been very busy working two jobs but that now one of the jobs was finished and she would have more time. I invited her to come to church on Sunday.

She came that Sunday and the very next Sunday which was Resurrection Sunday. Whenever she comes she listens so intently to the sermon and almost always asks questions afterwards.

This past Friday on met her again on the street as I was walking to a friend’s house. She had a mark on her face where she had been struck. She told me that she was in some trouble and needed advice. I invited her to come to my house on Saturday when Kristie and I could talk to her.

So it was that Uganaa came over to my house on Saturday. She recognized that she was a sinner and that she needed Jesus to save her. She said that she was ready to repent of her sin and ask God to forgive her. So we prayed.

She came to church today and made a public profession of faith in Jesus Christ. Please pray with us that God would protect this baby Christian and keep away evil influences.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.