Saturday, April 04, 2009

It's a fight to pray!

A missionary does many difficult things: learn a new language, travel around North America speaking in churches, trying to reconcile nationals when one is unaware of all the cultural implications. But perhaps the hardest single thing a missionary does is to pray. Hudson Taylor must have experienced the same thing in his ministry because he wrote, "Satan will always find you something to do when you ought to be occupied about that [prayer and Bible study], if it is only arranging a window blind."

I have noticed myself that I should keep a pen and paper next to me whenever I pray because I seem to remember a myriad of different things that need to be done, people who need to be called, or great sermon ideas. I write them down and then immediately get back to prayer.

I schedule my prayer time for early in the morning that allows me to avoid the calls and text messages that seem to come my way. It is amazing when I try to pray at other times of the day the interruptions that can occur.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.