Sunday, September 15, 2019

Wrap-up of 2019 Mongolia trip

What a blessed trip! Thank you all for praying. I was unable to accomplish all that I had hoped with this trip, but God blessed in unexpected ways also.

My first goal was to get Caleb settled into his new home, registered for school, and assist with obtaining his residency permission for living temporarily in Mongolia. All of those were accomplished. When you pray express gratitude to God for His help. When I left Caleb last night he seemed calm and eager to begin his adventure in Mongolia. He is planning to make his first visit to a Mongolian family on his own Saturday night. He did make a visit with his grandma once when I was busy moving our luggage from one place to another. Ulzee said he talked in Mongolian (other than his grandma, no other English speakers were present). But this evening he will not even have his grandma. Having struggled for years to speak the language, I am impressed with how well he does with it. Foreigners have commented to me that he does well because he grew up in Mongolia. But I know many American children who grew up in Mongolia and cannot speak the language today.

My second goal was to strengthen Khan Uul Baptist Church. I had the opportunity to preach three times in Mongolia and once in English. Many people—Mongolians & missionaries—told me how much of a blessing the preaching was. God was good to grant me the freedom and power to preach in Mongolian. After the morning service, Ulemj brought his friend Yesugei to me. Yesugei had many questions about salvation. In the end, I think that he was a Christian but had been confused by some false teaching at another church that taught that Christians must attend church regularly in order to get to heaven. I stressed to him the sufficiency of faith in Christ and encouraged him to make a public profession of faith in Christ alone at the next church service.

My third goal was to encourage the Mongolian Christians. In the past I have often stayed 12 days in the country with which travel makes a 14 day trip. This time I chose to make it a 12 day trip which meant 10 days in Mongolia. I was not able to visit as many Mongolian families as I wished to visit. One Mongolian family in particular that I wished to move forward seems stuck despite your prayers, my prayers, and my best efforts. God gave several opportunities for clear and open communication in Mongolian. But talk does not change people; the Holy Spirit changes people. Please pray for a new openness to the Holy Spirit’s work in this family’s life.

My fourth goal was to assist with the Old Testament translation project and get to the place where I can continue to help going forward. I have committed to one morning a week. Jason will send me materials that they are passing on to the translation team’s reading committee. I will look for obvious errors and doctrinal implications.

My fifth goal was to encourage the missionaries. Missionary life can be lonely, discouraging, and unrewarding. I was glad to be able to meet with three different missionary families as well as additional meetings with the missionary pastor of Khan Uul Baptist Church.

Some of you that are receiving this email are not a part of Elmira Baptist Church. You will be pleased to hear that the church rallied around and solved a difficult problem during my absence. The speaker that I had scheduled for the Sunday morning that I was gone was unable to come. I found out just days before Sunday. But my deacons and father stepped up to meet the needs, and I only heard good reports from last Sunday’s service. I had better not be gone any more than I must; otherwise, my church will realize that they don’t need me as much as they think. Praise the Lord for His grace that enables us to meet every need.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.