Thursday, July 19, 2018

Wednesday update

I have thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Mongolia. My goals for this trip included encouraging Mongolian Christians. I have eaten meals with six families and have several more scheduled. Additionally, I have several families yet to schedule. Many Mongolians have confided problems to me, and we have been able to look into God's word to find answers, comfort, and hope.

One of these was entirely unexpected. Tuesday I went to visit Chuck Webber and his family. They arrived in Mongolia in October and are still learning the language. To learn the language they often have Mongolian guests to their house. Tammy Webber fixed us a delicious meal which we shared with five Mongolians! One of those Mongolians was Monkhuu (pronounced monk•oo). At the age of two his hip was damaged in an accident. He later had a series of surgeries performed to increase his mobility. But instead of increasing his mobility, the surgeries left his hip locked into socket. His hip no longer moves at all. He admitted that although he is a Christian he sometimes becomes depressed by his physical condition. Along with other encouraging words, I shared with him Romans 8:35-37. I was not even planning that visit with Monkhuu but merely met him incidentally in the course of my day.

I also came to assist with the Mongolian Old Testament translation work. The past two mornings, I have met with the translators. They have done the work, but I have had the opportunity to hear what they have done and give advice in solving some of the riddles the translation team has encountered when they bring the Bible from Hebrew to Mongolian.

I had the opportunity to preach on Sunday, once in English and once in Mongolian. After that I led a Mongolian adult Bible study. We looked at what it means for every man to be swift to hear (James 1:19) and how we can be better listeners. Already this week in my visits people have shared with me how they are implementing that lesson. Tonight I am preaching in Mongolian again-this time I will preach that God is worthy of our praise. Often our prayers are filled with requests; we certainly have much for which to pray. But we must take time in our prayers to worship God for His incredible, awe-inspiring attributes and thank Him for His innumerable good gifts.

Continue to pray for me as I finish my visit to Mongolia next Monday. Tomorrow, I will have a chance to see Dashka whom I have not seen in several years. In previous visits he has been busy or in the countryside. I suspect that he is not going to church anywhere. I want to exhort and admonish him as a Christian brother. Pray for me.

Scott Dean

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.