I made it safely to Mongolia on Wednesday night, the first day of the Mongolian summer celebration called Naadam. The route from the airport to the room where I am staying led past the stadium. Despite the fact that it was 10:30 some of the roads were packed with cars filled people making their way home from the Naadam events. We were not delayed long, however; and I arrived to my room about 11.
I am staying near the heart of the city, south of downtown. I am about the same distance from downtown as I was when we lived here. Being in the center of the city is nice for transportation. Last time when Kristie, Caleb, and I visited we were some distance from downtown and had occasional delays getting a taxi. I am also across the street from the location where the church meets on Sundays. I will be speaking to the church in English and Mongolian on Sunday. I will be able to walk across the street to attend services.
I have three purposes in my trip. First, to exhort and encourage the church through preaching. I will be preaching both Sundays that I am here as well as speaking at some Bible studies during the week. Second, I will assist the Old Testament translation team next week with some of their work. The comfortable room in which I am staying is attached to the office where the Old Testament translation team meets. They are on holiday this week because of Naadam but will be back in the office next week. I have set aside a few days to help them. I will be checking a draft of the book of Ruth, giving my opinion on the transliteration of names, and discussing questions of Mongolian vocabulary and grammar.
Additionally, I want to encourage Christians by visiting their homes. Already I have been in Ganpurev's home and will be visiting Baysaa this evening. The people of Westgate Baptist Church were so gracious to provide gifts which along with items my family prepared I will be giving to each family that I visit. I not only want to encourage my Mongolian brothers and sisters, I also want to encourage the missionary families that are here. Ulaanbaatar can be a lonely place. I hope to bring some companionship. Unfortunately, Jason Ritchie whom I hoped to meet last night has come down with illness. He hopes to be better tomorrow.
Pray for these purposes and check back often to see how my trip is progressing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment