I was talking with a fellow today who works for the United Nations (I can't remember: are they an ally or an enemy?). He is to be re-posted to a new location this summer and was mentioning that this is his last winter in Mongolia. I casually remarked that I hoped he would be posted to a warmer place. Of course, he responded, because Ulan Bator is the world's coldest capital any place he is posted would be warmer. We were talking as we walked away from the post office; the temperature at the time was about -20 F (-29 C).
This past Saturday it was a little warmer, so I walked to the post office from my house. It was zero when I started out in the late afternoon. When I arrived home the sun was setting, and the temperature had dropped to -6 F. I've posted some pictures from my walk.
That sidewalk is just a sheet of ice; folks who live in Mongolia learn to walk very carefully. And the weather is so cold that businesses will pay to have ice sculptures carved. (The one in the picture says "CENTRAL" for Central Tower). They know that the ice will last 3-4 months (usually late November to early March. You'll also notice a Christmas tree in front of the office building. They seem to be everywhere here this year. If you ask a Mongolian, they associate them with the upcoming new year's celebrations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment