Monday, February 21, 2011

I Have Decided to Follow Jesus

How many times have you sung the song, “I have decided to follow Jesus”? It has a calming tune that seems to pull us along. Many of us have probably heard the story of the Indian prince who gave up all to become a Christian and penned the song. Whether that story is true or not I cannot say. However, all too often we sing it without the heart-felt appreciation that the songs demands.

Take me for example, I have sung that song in English & Mongolian multiple times. There is one verse, “Though none go with me, still I will follow.” The Mongolian translation is literally, “Though all alone, I will follow Him.” We sing it, but few of us Americans will ever face a situation where we are literally without human companionship because we follow Jesus. In my case, my wife is a Christian and my dearest friend in the world. The God-given differences in personality that we have merely emphasize God’s wisdom in bringing us together. My parents and my parents-in-law are both supportive of us not only as Christians but also as missionaries. Our siblings support what we are doing. We have a church in Tigard, Oregon that has shown again and again that they will do whatever is in their power to assist us in our ministry.

Now consider some of these Mongolians. While we were singing on Sunday I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of Dashka singing fervently, “Though all alone, I will follow Him.” Here is a Christian who besides his Christian brothers and sisters is seemingly all alone in this world.

His mother is most sympathetic but really does not understand why he has become a Christian. His older sister recently became a shaman (more commonly known as a witchdoctor to those who live in the United States). His wife died last month. His parents-in-law have been openly hostile to the Gospel. His four children are not yet Christians. Yet, despite this spiritual isolation, he is singing heartily, “Though all alone, I will follow Him.” It gave me fresh insight into the meaning of the words and caused me to ask myself, “Would I still continue to follow the Savior if all earthly supports were removed?” Faced with such a reality, Job said, “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.” Can we say the same?

This is pioneer missions work: penetrating a culture with little or no Christian influence and introducing people to the Savior of the world. But when people turn from idols to the true God, they often become isolated from their families, network of friends, and even their culture because their society has chosen to forsake their Creator. The pressures and temptations that they face are compounded because their do not have the Christian sub-culture that many of us in the United States take for granted.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.