Friday, July 23, 2010

A Vanished Friend

Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end;
Yet days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it a year is gone,
And I never see my old friend’s face;
For life is a swift and terrible race.

He knows I like him just as well
As in days when I rang his bell
And he rang mine. We were younger then;
And now we are busy, tired men –
Tired with playing a foolish game;
Tired with trying to make a name.

“Tomorrow,” I say, “I will call on Jim,
Just to show that I’m thinking of him.”
But tomorrow comes – and tomorrow goes;
And the distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner! Yet miles away …
“Here’s a telegram, sir … Jim died today!”

And that’s what we get, and deserve in the end –
Around the corner, a vanished friend.

1 comment:

mjaquith25 said...

great thought... Life goes so fast and we get so busy. Good reminder to slow down and spend time with who is important to us.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.