Friday, February 27, 2009

Picture of the week

It has been too long since I sent out a "picture of the week." I wish I would have kept up with it. I am going to make an effort this spring to send out a picture nearly every week.

This week's picture focusing on the lunar new year holiday that Mongolians call Tsagaan Sar (or White Month). It is about 3-5 days - in the city, at least; countryside events last longer - of eating, seeing family and friends, and generally having a good time. Check out my blog and search "lunar new year" for more details.

In the picture Kristie is delivering the traditional greeting (which even has its own name) to Sol, Ganaa's mother. Younger people are to put their arms underneath the arms of their elder and ask, "Are you peaceful?" Sometimes the younger person gives the older person some money. The celebration started on Wednesday this year, and we have a few visits on Saturday that should wrap it up for us.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.