Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas post

It can feel a little odd here in Mongolia because December 25 is not a holiday. Because there will be some big celebrations on December 31, many Mongolians confuse Christmas with New Year's Eve. They will ask me when I celebrate Christmas and sometimes express surprise when I tell them that I celebrate Christmas on December 25. If they have any concept at all of Christmas it is the very commercialized "Santa celebration" without any reference to a Savior. It has been our privilege since we arrived to introduce many Mongolians to the fact that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of a long-awaited Savior.

We, the Dean family, wish each of you reading this a Merry Christmas. Remember the message of the angel to the shepherds, "Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." The wonderful news of the birth of a Savior is not intended to only be for Americans or Canadians or Europeans or Africans or Asians. No, our Savior is the Savior of the world. May Christmas reflect the joy of salvation that we find in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.