Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What does a missionary do?

Meetings in churches in the U.S. are usually an enjoyable time. One of the things that I enjoy the most about being in churches in the U.S. is question and answer time. I never know what people are going to ask, and they usually do not know how I will answer (otherwise, why would they ask the question?) Sometime a church will want to ask questions for almost the entire time that I am with them.

One of the questions I was commonly asked while in the States on my furlough was: "What does a missionary do with his time?" When I am asked that I am never sure where to start.

Take this last ten days as an example: in this short time I have helped 3 missionary families as they arrived in Ulan Bator. (One was coming for the first time, one was returning from a furlough, and one was coming to the city from the countryside.)

I have been to the airport twice, both times arriving home well after everyone was in bed. I picked up a stray bag from the airport.

I helped unload a truck that included firewood and rough cut lumber (my hands still have those little micro-splinters that you feel sometimes but cannot seem to locate - see picture to the right). I helped unload the truck in my Sunday clothes no less because the missionary arrived Sunday afternoon right after my service dismissed. The fellow missionary said, "I didn't expect you [to come] and help me unload the truck." To which I replied, "We all talk about serving one another in love. This is one way that I can show it."

I picked up my new residency permits from a Mongolian government office after initially experiencing some trouble in obtaining them.

I spent part of two days helping the new missionary family find housing. Sometimes I gave advice, sometimes I worked as a translator. During my time as translator, I was able to be a witness briefly for Jesus Christ to the landlady of the apartment my missionary friend was considering. She even said she would visit my church services sometime (though many Mongolians say that).

I taught Bible lessons - both lessons arranged ahead of time and one where a Mongolian church member came to my door asking for help understanding a passage of Scripture.

I visited the sick. While on that visit, I was bitten by a dog. Rabies in Mongolia, you ask; it's everywhere ... except hopefully not with the dog that bit me.

I spent time cleaning and arranging the rooms used for the services of Faith Baptist Church.

I made a visit to property where a building for a church could be built and investigated various building options.

I prepared Bible lessons and sermons and assisted Ganpurev in preparing his sermon for Sunday.

I had a meeting with fellow missionaries to discuss the Mongolian Bible translation.

My family took care of several children for a different missionary family whose wife had just given birth to their fifth child.

But you know what the most interesting thing about all this is: my next ten days will probably be completely different! Praise the Lord; I am so glad that He called me to Mongolia.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.