Thursday, April 24, 2008

This week's update

This has been a slow month for blog posts, hasn't it.

Last month I wrote some posts about music, referring to buying hymnbooks and my personal application of Biblical principle to music choices.

A church member recently approached me suggesting that if we had more up-beat music we could attract more people. I know this church member well enough to know that "up-beat" music to him means that we need to imitate the world. It is indisputable that the churches in Mongolia with the largest attendance also have music that is hardest to differentiate from the world's music.

I have spent the last two Sundays detailing the purpose of the church's meetings and my philosophy of ministry. This Sunday I will specifically be dealing with a Christian's choices in music. Music is a difficult issue to teach on in English due to its technical nature. In Mongolian, teaching about music will be a daunting task. Please pray that the believers of Faith Baptist Church will re-evaluate the basis on which they choose their music. The church member who brought this to my attention admitted that the Christians with whom he is acquainted choose their music based on what appeals to them which can be a dangerous method of picking music.

Please pray both for me as I prepare and teach and for the people as they listen to something that is entirely new to them. I remain convinced that music has a much larger influence on us than we imagine.

As a postscript let me mention that I found a good article about music in the past week on a website that promotes God-honoring music.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.