Monday, April 07, 2008

The Strange Case of the Disappearing Directory

We are proud to be sent out by Westgate Baptist Church in Tigard, Oregon. Last September our church celebrated its 25th anniversary. As part of the celebration a special 25th anniversary church directory was published with pictures and addresses and some special other things. Being members of Westgate Baptist Church our family received a copy of the directory. Strangely enough, the directory turned up missing not long after we received it.

We wondered where it could have gone. I have a reputation for putting things in odd places, so my wife wondered if I had done something odd with it. Also, about the time that it went missing, I had showed it to a Mongolian friend Enkhamgalan. Kristie wondered if Enkhamgalan might have taken it. I couldn't see why he would but brought it up the next time that Enkhamgalan came to visit.

When I asked him about it Bilgee, who had come to visit with Enkhamgalan, said that often if someone shows a book of pictures to a Mongolian that is interpreted as an invitation to take it. Enkhamgalan laughed, and I took that to mean that Bilgee was joking.

Yesterday, however, Enkhamgalan mysteriously showed up at my house, handed me our church directory, and left abruptly (at least for a Mongolian). I guess they weren't joking.

The moral of the story - don't show your photo albums to Mongolians.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.