Monday, November 26, was Mongolian Independence Day. This holiday does not seem to be particularly special to Mongolians. I asked several Mongolians what Mongolians traditionally do on their Independence Day. Only one had an answer: he said that Mongolians read their constitution (he was joking). Knowing that there is a tendency in Mongolian society to take any day off from work as a day to drink alcohol, I thought I would organize a small get-together for our church on that Monday when many members would have the day off.
We ate a potluck meal, talked some, and played some group games. Roland introduced our group to a very interesting game called "Four on the Couch." The men then lost four games to the women. We also played spoons. The picture I posted includes Roland and Kristie preparing to play a game with some of those who attended.
Almost every time that we do something like this, the Mongolians remark on how much fun they have. It gives them an opportunity to interact with other Christians, see that having fun does not need to include evil, and relax in a welcoming environment.


No comments:
Post a Comment