I met with Enkhamgalan last night. He had some things that he wanted to translate and two questions about the Bible that he wanted to ask me. He wanted to ask about the meaning of Ephesians 5:16 and Luke 18:27. We finished his question from Ephesians quickly and moved into the translation which took some time.
Then it was time to deal with Luke 18:27, "The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." I pointed out that the context was salvation because the rich man has asked what he had to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus was teaching his disciples that doing good and keeping certain rituals was not the way to eternal life. Still not clearly understanding Jesus the disciples responded, "Who then can be saved?" At which Jesus responded that it was only possible with God.
This was just the spiritual lesson that Enkhamgalan needed regarding salvation. Like the disciples, he did not understand why Jesus thought that salvation was impossible for men to do without God. I took the opportunity to again stress that the way to [peace with] God is faith in Jesus Christ.
Enkhamgalan however by his own admission is looking for proof that God exists and that Jesus is the only way to God. But incontrovertible truth and faith are mutually exclusive. As one man wisely said, "Were there no room for doubt there would be no room for faith either." So I challenged Enkhamgalan to have faith in God.
His response was very indicative of his spiritual condition: "I have faith," he said.
"Good," I said with joy expecting something like the Philippian jailor - now what must I believe to be saved - or at least the cry of the father of the demon-possessed son - I believe, please help my unbelief. Instead his followed up with the rhetorical question, "Now where's my proof?" So I can see that he still does not have the faith that is the evidence of things not seen.
Continue to pray for Enkhamgalan. Pray that God would give him faith, saving faith.
Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment