Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Religion in Mongolia

Religious freedom is alive and well in Mongolia. According to advertisements, there are three different “holy” men in Mongolia currently. One is the leader of the Tibetan Buddhists, one is a Hindu holy man, and the other is a Christian. There’s been something of a battle of the billboards here. There are two competing billboards at a major intersection near where I live. I’ve posted them for you. The Buddhist billboard is more subdued; I think “A long live” is meant to be “May he live long.”

The Christian billboard is more dramatic. After giving the man’s name and details of the rallies, it states, “The blind see … the deaf hear … the lame leap … came see miracles. Everyone is welcome.”

There have been some articles in U.S. newspapers along these lines. USA Today has a write-up in their religion section. There's an article in the Deseret News. I even found one in the UK. Check it out here.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.