Sunday, July 10, 2011

Traffic, doorknobs, and Naadam

We've had a couple of interesting things happen recently. Anytime a holiday happens our residential district fills up with people who are trying to get supplies. Traffic last night was quite bad right outside our building for several hours. The roads are narrow enough. As soon astraffic begins to back up, undisciplined drivers are tempted to fill the lane of oncoming traffic which only compounds the problem. Combined with a lack of parking, our residential district can quickly become a traffic quagmire.

Not that I had much time to notice last night because I was locked in my own bathroom for about a half hour. The doorknob suddenly became non-operative (the second in two weeks). We had to disassemble the door knob so we could open the door. Disassembling a doorknob is probably not all that difficult under normal circumstances. But my wife and daughter were working on one side while I worked on the other, mostly without tools as I took most of my tools to the carpenter shop. I'm going to need to bring some of those tools back. In the end my
wife and daughter were able to get the door handle on their side off and pass a nail through to my side so that I could remove the handle on my side. Now our bathroom door has no door handle and most stores will be closed until Thursday because of Naadam, the big summer holiday for Mongolia.

More about Naadam later this week.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.