Monday, October 19, 2009

Sunday update

The only thing that you can expect in life is the unexpected.

Sunday we had a good crowd out in the morning and a decent crowd in the evening despite the fact that the virulent H1N1 virus, nasty colds, and a severe flu bug thinned out the crowd. Still, those that we're healthy—and one that was not, more about him later—came out.

Afterwards we observed the Lord's Supper and held a church business meeting.

I had been covering for Bill Patterson on Sunday nights while he was away. I was eager for him to come back; he does such a good job of running the service. Bill returned on Wednesday morning and was at the church service on Sunday morning. But he shouldn't have come because he had the flu. He had fought it all day on Saturday and convinced himself Sunday morning that he could make it. However, he still isn't well. So he asked me to cover for him on Sunday night.

After the business meeting I met with Dashka. Hard times have been his lot since the summer began. With his wife's cancer, his own health problems, and four young children - he has plenty to keep his attention. He expressed to me his frustration with his own lack of spiritual growth. It is amazing to watch God work in people's hearts in ways that I cannot foresee or understand. I mentioned to Dashka that I've seen so much spiritual growth in him recently. Please pray for Dashka to be patient with his circumstances, his family, and himself.

I then went home to prepare for the evening service. God gave grace so that despite my lack of preparation during the week I was able to do a respectable job of leading the service. We had two first-time visitors in the evening as well. Praise the Lord.

Then after the service I had another counseling session; this time with a young man who thought that if he just had the use of $800 or so, he could work his plan and pay back the money within a year. I taught him that God wants us to depend on Him and not borrow money.

I've learned that Mongolians are full of good ideas. They often think that they have a "for sure way" to make money if only they could borrow some for a "short time." So it was a busy but good Sunday. To see growth in the lives of people to me is an encouragement.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.