Monday, February 11, 2008

Tsagaan Sar Day 2

As I mentioned in my previous post, my celebration of the Mongolian luner new year or Tsagaan Sar has been complicated by a series of meetings on the Mongolian Bible translation project. I sat done and figured out that I have been in eight hours of meetings the last two days along with visiting five Mongolians' homes.

Today we took three of our American visitors with us as we visited Mongolians' homes. I was impressed with the way all three of them enjoyed themselves and tried all the different things that they were offered. It helped that all of them have spent some time on the mission field: two of them, Billy Patterson and J.B. Godfrey have spent almost as much time in countries other than the United States as I have spent living.

We first visited Ganpurev's home. As always they were very gracious and offered us some excellent buuz. Some of the buuz were made with beef and some with horse meat. There was the head, back, and fatty tail of a sheep from which we took slices of meat to eat. Various other dairy products, candy, and salads rounded out the meal.

After that, my guests wanted to see the inside of a Mongolian ger so Ganpurev took as to visit his nephew and neighbor, Ankhaa. My guests took lots of pictures.

Finally, we headed over to Bilgee's place. Bilgee also wanted to feed us a whole meal, but I had neglected to tell my guests that they would be eating again. We ate what we could and had a good conversation with Bilgee who speaks English.

Then meetings kept me busy until about 8 in the evening. After which, I prepared for Sunday.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.