Saturday, February 09, 2008

Tsagaan Sar Day 1

Today was the first day of the Mongolian lunar new year or Tsagaan Sar as we call it. I only had two visits but my day was complicated by the arrival from the United States of over a dozen people most of them interested in the Mongolian Bible translation situation. They wanted to meet. So from 8:30-10:00 this morning, I had a meeting. I left the meeting and visited Bold's house for Tsagaan Sar. There we ate loads of buuz, platefuls of potato salad, slices of beef (with the fat), and handfuls of dried curds (aaruul).

From there, we went to Buren's apartment, where we ate more buuz, more platefuls of potato salad, slices of mutton (also with fat), and American type cake and cookies (Buren's family's own special take on Tsagaan Sar). By the time we left there we were stuffed. I ate a light snack late in the evening, but other than that I did not eat anything else after that.

After our visit to Buren's house there was a short break and then headed over to meeting regarding Bible translation in Mongolian. After that three hour meeting, I invited Mr. J.B. Godfrey, the Far East director for BIMI over to my house. He had come with the group to Mongolia to see the country and talk to missionaries here.

So it was a busy day. I think I'll have three lunar new year visits and another Bible translation meeting today. I'll update you later.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.