Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Missions quote

"There is a mighty power in contact. ... They are not clean, and sometimes we are tempted to draw our skirts together; but I believe there is a no blessing when that is the case. ... There is much power in drawing near to this people, and there is a wonderful power in touching people." J. Hudson Taylor

This has been our experience in Mongolia. The closer we draw to people, the more that we involve ourselves in their lives and include them in ours that we gain their trust. Gaining their trust means that they listen more intently to the Gospel.

As I've read through the Gospels again this year examining our ultimate example once again, I constantly see Jesus touching people and allowing people to touch Him. I do not see it as therapeutic touch but rather a touch that says, "I have compassion on you."

Having daily contact with people can be difficult: they speak a different language, they smell, they eat funny foods, they blow their noses on the sidewalk. But these are the people to whom God called us and isolating ourselves from them cannot be a good thing. Let it never be said that we seemed cold or distant when our Savior was so close to people.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.