Jet lag has hit Kristie & Caleb pretty hard. They were both up at 2 this morning. Caleb went back to sleep about 5. I slept through the night – praise the Lord! We went to Ganpurev & Ulzee's place for dinner last night and enjoyed the food. Caleb was especially looking forward to eating genuine Mongolian food and was not disappointed.
Several months ago, Ganpurev & Ulzee visited their local clinic with some health issues. At that time, they took some health tests. The local clinic told Ulzee that she tested positive for hepatitis B. Ganpurev had some swelling in his liver, thickening of the gallbladder wall, and some kidney issues. Both of them were given specific advice about their diets which they have followed.
After we arrived Sunday night late as we were driving from the airport, I specifically checked with Ganpurev regarding Ulzee's condition. Jason told me that she had hepatitis C which though curable is a disease that is expensive to treat (about $80,000 a treatment in the U.S.) Ganpurev told me that Ulzee did not have hepatitis C but hepatitis B. Hepatitis B is not curable but its effects can be treated. The Mongolian doctors told her that if she was not careful about her diet she would die of the symptoms of hepatitis B within 12 years. (I have no idea why such a specific number, 12, rather than say within 10-15 years.) That was the news Sunday night as we left the airport.
Monday morning, Ganpurev & Ulzee went to First Hospital for the results of tests that the took at First Hospital June 21. These tests were separate from the tests that they had taken at their local clinic. One of the tests that they had taken was for hepatitis. At First Hospital, the doctor told Ulzee that she does not have hepatitis B. And because hepatitis B cannot be cured, he told her that she had never had hepatitis B. He suggested that the local clinic's hepatitis test was incorrect.
Ulzee told us Monday night that she sees her diagnosis as not having hepatitis as an answer to prayer. She said that when the local clinic diagnosed hepatitis B and told her that she had 12 years to live, she began to pray that God would heal her. After all, she said, God raised Lazarus from the dead, He could certainly heal her. So she thinks that she had hepatitis B and that God miraculously healed her. I am not a doctor and did not see the tests, so I cannot say. But we rejoiced with her that she does not have hepatitis B now.
We also saw Buren today. I missed him the last time I visited Ulaanbaatar because he was in the countryside. They now have five grandchildren. Their youngest daughter Uchkaa has four children! Their oldest daughter Urnaa (she trained as a doctor) has a daughter. Urnaa is with her husband working in Istanbul, Turkey. But they left their daughter with Buren and Sonin in Mongolia. They will be gone another two years. Their middle daughter Chimgee still is unmarried, lives at home, and works near them at a photography shop.
On my way out of Buren's place, I literally found Bold. He is the Mongolian fellow who came to Oregon during our last furlough. He stayed with the Deans for a few days and visited Westgate Baptist Church. I was hoping to see him but had lost contact with him. It was providential that I met him! He was busy with work at the time, but we exchanged phone numbers. Lord willing, I will visit his house this weekend. He is a Christian man and a great source of ideas.
Tonight we are headed to see Bob and Ganaa. They leave for the far countryside next Tuesday. We will update you on that visit tomorrow.
Tomorrow also is a meeting regarding the Old Testament translation work that lies ahead. I am not sure if I am invited to that meeting or not, but Jason would like me to attend. We happen to have the same goals about the translation issue. Then in the evening is the dedication.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment