Saturday, June 18, 2011

Deans' prayer letter for June

On of the church's memory verses this month was Phillipians 4:6, a reminder that we are to bring all our requests to God. We know that many of you pray for us, love us, and therefore want to know how we are doing. This spring has been a long, dry period of ministry for us, and we have some added pressures going into the summer.

The Patterson’s have been dear friends and diligent co-laborers since they came to Mongolia some years ago. It is now time for them to take a well-deserved furlough. They were crucial to the continued development of the church in our absence, for which we are very grateful. We intend to do our best to see their ministry emphasis during their time in the United States.

However, we cannot do the ministry of two families. So we have been looking for Mongolians to step up and help. Some of our most faithful families are facing their own pressures at this
time: terminal illness in a parent, pregnancies, etc. As I see it, God is making it necessary for other families to step up and assume some of the responsibility for the ministries of their church. That is a good thing. But I need wisdom as I challenge people to increase their commitment to the Lord and patience as I allow God time to work in their lives.

[The picture taken on Mother's Day has the Pattersons, my parents in the middle, and my family on the right]

During the many summers that I lived in the United States I always had compassion for those who struggled with allergies. However, I could not say that I understood their struggle. Now I can. The last few summers in Mongolia I have had very bad allergies. Medicine sent from the United States for my relief did not seem effective, and medicine I could get locally made me drowsy. I think I have some medicine now that does alleviate many of my symptoms. Several of the children have also struggled with illness. We have usually been such a healthy family, for which we thank our God, that we are not used to the obstacles to service that illnesses bring. Again, we know that God is in control and trust that He is using our weakness to show His strength. Our prayer is for patience and wisdom.

Many of our dear Christians are being tempted to think that money and possessions deserve their attention more than the Father from Whom all good gifts come. Please pray for wisdom and authority from on high as we labor to bring glory to God.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.