"When you are hurting and afflicted, you are prepared to help those who are hurting and afflicted."
Talk about running across a quote at an opportune time. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the beginning. Kristie has been sick for over a month. It's been various things and only part of that time has she been in bed, but overall she's had some sort of illness bothering her since the end of September. Any time that Kristie is sick, it adds pressure to my schedule.
Then, we've had many breakthroughs recently in our ministry here - Bob's salvation, increased attendance on Sundays and Wednesdays, steps of growth in the lives of those to whom we minister. However, at the same time, we've been facing extra pressures. Some of these stresses have come from unexpected sources and these make them even more difficult to endure. Many of these problems I am unable to talk about which makes enduring them even more stressful.
I know from my study of God's word and the experiences God has led me through that these trials exist for our benefit, that it is God's plan to strengthen our faith and teach us patience. I also know that ultimately it is the trials of life and not the easy times that conform us to the image of Jesus and make us mature Christians.
Still, when one is actually in the middle of a trial it's hard to remember these things. It is easier to become discouraged and dismayed. So it is that while I am in the struggles I often forget the lessons that God is trying to teach me and my family.
Christians and especially missionaries have always faced difficult circumstances. James Fraser once remarked, "Refuse, however, to be discouraged, but get down on your knees at once and 'get right with God.' I have had many such experiences before, but I have made the mistake of giving way to depression instead of calmly investigating the cause of things. This time, however, the thief is not going to escape."
I have taken some time to prayerfully consider my circumstances and my response to them. I believe that I can see clearly some of the causes and can discern some of the purposes of God within my difficult circumstances.
First, as the quote I led with above states, I believe that God is trying to give me a greater heart and understanding spirit of those who are hurting.
Second, I discern God at work to purge me. In Psalm 119:67 we find, "Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word." Affliction can often lead to cleansing. When times are good we are often complacent and willing to continue in the path that we are going. But hard times force us to re-examine our path and consider what God's leading truly is in our lives.
Third, we all know and recognize that when God's work is moving forward, our adversary and his minions will be there to oppose it. Even more significant, my own flesh, the old man, is not pleased when God's work is advancing. As with Elijah often our times of discouragement and sense of defeat is greatest immediately following our greatest victories.
So what am I doing to avoid discouragement and yield to the Holy Spirit. First, I am trying to listen to good music that encourages me (see II Kings 3:15). Just this morning while listening to music I was reminded of Jesus' admonition, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
Which leads to the second way I am dealing with discouraging circumstances: prayer. I was reminded that Jesus shares our burdens and knows our discouragements.
Extra time in God's word reading not only what is on my reading schedule but extra passages where I can find encouragement and strength. "I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." There is so much encouragement to be found in God's word.
Finally, I have reached out to some who know me well and are praying for me requesting extra prayer.
God is good all the time. He has been faithful to encourage me and support me. The issue has always been whether I will receive His aid or whether I will be content to wallow in self-pity and surrender to discouragement.
Thank you all for your prayers. Continue to pray for God to encourage us and to protect us from the attacks of Satan. We know that there is victory in Jesus Christ.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment